Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Traffic light's green already, O wise man

I am lucky to have a dad who is a willing transporter. He would transport me to wherever i would like to go. Even when i’m in school, everyone will take the busess or public transport to go home but it was not the case for me, my dad would diligently pick me up. Now before you guys start branding me anak manja or watever, let me state my case first. I HAD TRIED. But this was the reply;

Kamu ada ayah nak ambik, jangan nak mengada-ngada
(roughly translated as ” you have someone to pick you up, why bother?”

-Old fashioned Mom

But as i get older, i am capable of going here and there all on my own but here’s the catch; I did it without telling my mom i went alone. Last week, i get busted and so,the drive along in my dad’s trusted Kenari regime continues.

Cant really blame my mom over these over motherly protection disciple being imposed on me. Blame all those media potrayals of lone women being stabbed, murdered, killed, bombed, burned, raped, harassed and all other gory and Altantuuya-like predicaments.

Back to the Kenari. I have to say, the experinec of driving along with Dad has been aptly said as .. academic. He will talk on and on about thought provoking issues from why he thinks the prepaid system is un-Islamic to the welfare system in United Kingdom. And i kindof like that, these academic father-daughter bonding sessions. I learnt a lot of new hidden, not so obvious stuff from him. Plus, he’s a great navigator, he never fails to know where a place is situated, he will show you roads and short-cuts, you can keep that Nokia navigator or GPRS. His knowledge is mind-bogglingly vast but surprisingly, it doesnt bore me at all ( allright, i do doze off a couple of times). The stuff he’s lecturing are interconnected with our daily-lives’ routine but in a perspective we havent really approach before.

Since the session could not be classify as a class,( although i personally thought that he qualifies for a lecture’s salary considering the amount of lecture and wealth of information he gives to me); i never wrote them down in legitimate, reviewable notes. And i felt that it was such a waste so here goes;

THE LESSONS I LEARNT FROM A DRIVER

1. Why prepaid system is to his opinion, defies the Islamic principles

2. Why theres too many toll booths sprouting whenever we’re not looking and why there is a necessity for it.

3. Suggesting a solution to solve the out of favour medan selera system and eradicate stalls that thrive on the roadways.

4. The difference (with live example), why chinese is better at business rather than malays.

5. Why the recent pay rise does not make any difference

6. Astro’s lying services

7. Lament on the chinese-chinese and malay-malay cliques in public universities

8. Lay-men like us should listen to whose ulama’s opinion in Islam?

9. The renovation laws that are uncontrolled here

10. His suspicion of the Malay languange not being around for the next 100 years and the events that lead to his conclusion

11. The dilemmas of those who are convicted of graft- they’re not necessarily guilty per se.

12. His frustration on rampant interferences of politics in education that people didnt see ( with live example)

13. Pencuri besi.

….and many many other things that i cant remember.

Bless you, ayah.

*****************

On the way back today, he rambled on about;

1. Streetlights regulations

2. Petrol stations issues and the phasing out of Projet

3. Filmmaker critique called Mansor Puteh.

Yeah. Really.

No comments: